Several days ago, I made Crème Brûlée Tartlets from a recipe that requires egg yolks. Not wanting to waste the egg whites, I used them to make egg white scramble burritos for breakfast. I was never a big fan of egg white scrambles because I found any scramble without egg yolk to be too bland. But after adding diced spams and chopped green onions, this egg white scrambles actually tasted pretty good to me. This breakfast burrito only took 10 minutes to make form start to finish even though I'm always a slowpoke in the kitchen.
Makes 2 Burritos
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup diced spam (25% less sodium)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 4 tablespoons of shredded Gruyère cheese (or any amount of shredded cheese)
- 2 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons store bought chunky salsa
- Spray a frying pan with olive oil and heat on medium high heat for 2 minutes.
- Add diced spams and green onions and sauté until spams are browned.
- Whisk the egg white and add to the spam and green onions mixture in the pan.
- Scramble the egg white mixture until the egg white is set.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle shredded cheese on tortillas and microwave each tortilla on high for 40 to 60 seconds or until cheese begins to melt.
- Scoop egg white scramble down the center of each tortilla over cheese. Add salsa and assemble the burritos.