Thursday, July 17, 2014

Christmas Tree Crostini

Christmas Tree Crostini

My husband thought I was crazy when I served this for dinner tonight.  After all, this should be an appetizer for Christmas....  Well, I became bored at home after I made my usual spam and egg sandwich for lunch.  When I looked at the loafs of white bread that my husband bought from the Japanese bakery yesterday, I felt that I wanted to do something different with it other than spam and egg sandwiches. 


This Japanese bakery sells the best white bread I have had since I have been in this country.  Its white bread had converted my husband from being a fan of the Trader Joe's whole wheat multi-grain bread to becoming someone who hates the Trader Joe's whole wheat  multi-grain bread. Naturally, the delicious white bread makes the best tasting Crostini.


I bought a Christmas tree cookie cutter years ago wanting to make Christmas tree cookies to bring to the Christmas party at work.  I ended up not making any cookies but bought a party tray from the grocery store instead.  I had forgotten about the cookie cutter until today when I continued to unpack another moving box.  When I saw the brand new cookie cutter that had never been used all these years, I thought of using it to may be make some croutons for salads.  Then I felt they were too big for salads and decided to turn them into Crostini. After making the Crostini out of curiosity, I couldn't think of what to do with them other than eating them in lieu of dinner.  They tasted really good with Champagne.   

Makes 24 Crostinis  

Ingredients:
  1. 24 pieces of really really good quality white bread 
  2. 4 tablespoons olive oil
  3. 2 teaspoons dry parsley flakes
  4. 1 can (5oz) tuna in oil, drained and flaked (reserve 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil)
  5. 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
  6. 1 cup can (7oz) sweet corn
  7. 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  8. Salt & ground pepper 
  9. Powdered Parmesan cheese for garnish
Direction:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Cut 24 Christmas trees out of the white bread using a cookie cutter. Place the Christmas tree pieces on the baking sheet.  On both sides, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley flakes.  Bake for 10  to 12 minutes or until golden.  Turn over once during baking.  

  2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together ingredients 4) to 7).  Use some of the reserved oil from the can tuna to bind the ingredients if necessary. Or you can use some mayo to bind instead.  Season with salt and ground pepper.

  3. Spoon the tuna mixture from step 2 above onto the baked Christmas tree pieces, garnish with powdered Parmesan cheese and serve.  

9 comments:

  1. They would make cute bruschettas! With tomato and parsley. Red and green for Christmas!
    Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bruschettas is another great idea. The red & green will make them look like a decorated Christmas Tree:)

      Delete
  2. Well, a lot of people celebrate Christmas in July or at least refer to it in July so Merry Christmas in July! I want to make your Crostini but your spam and egg sandwich sounds good too. I haven't had spam in ages. I think I have a tree cookie cutter too and your recipe sounds like fun. I have everything but the really good bread and the bell pepper but they're easy to get. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that now is usually the time when the Martha Stewart Magazine is doing photo shoots for the Christmas issue....

      Delete
    2. I only know MSL does thing early, like Halloween the end of summer or whatever! Btw, I haven't seen a comment from you on her blog lately. I sometimes don't comment either but lately I've taken time to do so. We've been kind of busy here with paperwork.

      Delete
    3. I don't comment on her blog because I'm getting bored of commenting there...due to the lack of interaction.

      Delete
    4. I know what you mean about no interaction - a big fat zero although she has made a comment to a couple of people just lately. It still isn't enough since she has had the blog for 7 years. It is obvious she doesn't care about her readers except she wants us to visit her blog every day. A lot of people have left. I asked where she bought her blouses and got no answer. She was once just like us but money changes people - for the worse! Now they are kings and queens I guess. Oh well!

      Delete
  3. I think that's a brilliant idea, especially since Christmas is my absolute, favorite time of year. Your crostini looks delicious... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is also my favorite time of the year:)

      Delete