Monday, July 14, 2014

Lavish Chinese Traditional Dance


China is such an old country that was ruled by so many dynasties that there is no one single national traditional dance that represents the Chinese culture.  Dance, and fashion varied throughout the thousands of years in history.  This style of dancing and fashion was very popular in the Tang Dynasty, which was over 1300 years ago.  I first learnt of the Tang Dynasty and its culture when I was a kid at my dad's art gallery. I watched him sell a painting with ladies dressing like those in the video, to a customer and I heard them talk about how intriguing  that women back then were wearing much more  revealing dresses than women  in the later dynasties.  I was only 5 years old but I remember the conversation and the transaction. It's because those paintings were as  fascinating to me as  my  Fashion Dolls coloring book.   This dance is performed by the Chinese Disabled People's Performing Art Troupe. It is based on  the story about an ancient goddess (Guan Yin) in China who has the kindest heart in the entire heaven and who always extends her helping hand to help the sick and poor. My granny used to tell me Guan Yin  was much kinder and much more effective in saving people than Jesus Christ when I tried to teach her to pray to Jesus when I was a kid.... 

8 comments:

  1. I"ve seen this dance before - sent to me in an email. the uniformity of it is quite nice and reminds me of the New York Rockettes who do a lot with their legs! America is not necessarily known for one dance because of our varied culture an I think it is nice that many Americans learn many dances from many countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's remarkable to me is, the dancers are hearing impaired and can't hear the music. I watched the behind the scene practice and rehearsals of this dance and I was amazed at the coordination it took and the challenges everybody had to overcome to make the move precise and uniform looking. I'm also impressed by other performances produced and performed by the disabled people in the Chinese Disabled People's Performing Art Troupe. Yes, the New York Rockettes girls all have very long and beautiful legs :) Cheer Leading in America also has very uniformed and impressive dance moves:)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful, fascinating dance. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's pretty impressive because it's performed by disabled people. Until I visited the website recently, I never knew China had a Performing Arts organization that was dedicated to helping disabled people to pursue their passion in performing arts.

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful. The Chinese National Ballet did a version of Swan Lake that incorporated a lot of acrobatics into the ballet. It was amazing, I was speechless. They are very talented dancers, especially for being hearing impaired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I watched that ballet too, I was also speechless...

      Delete
  4. Beautiful . . . I love that I always learn something new when I come by and visit!
    Thanks for sharing!
    I hope you're having a great week,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete