Saturday, July 12, 2014

Minute Steak With Tomato Sauce

minute steak with tomato sauce

I don't cook everyday like my mom does, but I've been cooking a lot more than a year ago when I got all my meals from the restaurants.  I cook at least once a week, but I seldom cook more than twice a week....My mom thinks I'm  not doing enough home cooking given the fact that I'm staying at home and doing mostly nothing important.  I admire people who cook everyday.  I really do.  I still haven't  developed a passion in cooking like I expected I would.  I still feel it's a hassle because I don't like the  prep work, and the greasy and dirty kitchen afterwards.  I'm just trying my best to cook as often as I can,  so my husband won't hold it against me too much every time when he isn't balancing his bank account.

Lately, I'm experiencing less and less enthusiasm in cooking.  I therefore often grab a pack of  minute steaks on sale at the grocery store, sprinkle them with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and fry them for 2 minutes per side on the skillet with olive oil.  After the beef  is cooked and set aside to keep warm ,  I then add chopped onions and 1/2 pint of sweet ripe cherry tomatoes into  the greasy skillet and deglaze the pan with beef broth (1/4 yellow onions and 1/4 beef broth per 2 steaks) and a 1/4 cup of Merlot.  I sometimes season the reduced sauce with 1 teaspoon of sugar for more taste if necessary, particularly when the tomatoes are more on the sour side.  After I pour the reduced  tomato sauce on the steaks, I always sprinkle chopped parsley leaves all over to serve because I just love the taste of parsley.  The mashed potato on the side is always easy because I always use the same simple recipe from a 1953 cookbook.

Okay, now what am I going to eat tomorrow?  The thought of having to cook again is daunting.  Thank god there is always Domino's.

6 comments:

  1. At least you're inventive as you cook. Some would just fry the minute steaks and plop them on a plate but you deglaze the pan and add chopped onion and tomatoes. You have actually made me hungry for this recipe and I don't think I have bought minute steak in 20 years. I don't cook every day either so thank heaven for Toojays that is practically across the street and they have tasty homemade type meals plus sirloin steak for carry-out which isn't too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toojays looks good!!! I just went to their website and it makes me hungry. I like Coco's here in California which is like a Toojays. I often go there too because one entree for me always lasts for 2 meals.

      Delete
  2. Cooking at home saves so much money. I think most of my aversion to home cooking was the fact that I'd have to handle raw meat. Little by little it gets easier, and the money you can save is well worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think for families with children, home cooking saves money. I also hate handling raw meat, therefore I haven't really cooked Chinese food because Chinese cooking always requires slicing the meats, and the thought of doing it even with gloves gives me goose bumps... Cooking American style helps because I just toss the entire piece on a pan, or into the oven and it feels less creepy this way....

      Delete
  3. Wow! This looks amazing!
    I love fast, easy and delicious recipes like this one!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like like recipes using simply delicious natural ingredients, like the ones featured in your blog:)

      Delete