Saturday, July 19, 2014

Street Dance in Mainland China vs Street Dance in Hong Kong



My husband's young nieces asked me a year ago if I heard about the Gangnam style dance.  They were so surprised when I told them I didn't know what "Gangnam Style" meant. They then showed me a Youtube video and said, "You don't know Psy? But you are Korean..."  I of course told them I was Chinese, not Korean. They then said, "Whatever... now watch this, do you see how cool this dance is?"  And yes I did, I found the Korean rendition of the American hip hop dance and music hugely entertaining.  I'm amazed that this style of dancing was taking on so many streets in the world, including the streets in Kunming China. Kunming, the supposedly most beautiful city in China, the city where Kings and Queens from every dynasty went for their retreats from the harsh winters and the hot summers in the capital city.  Kunming was the inspiration of so many painters and poets throughout the history of China that I first saw the city in many of the paintings in my father's gallery when I was a kid.  I remember how my father and his customers were talking about how the four seasons in Kunming were always like Spring.   Now I get to have a glimpse of Kunming on a Youtube video, looking like just any other city in China. Where is that picturesque Kunming on my father's paintings?  Now I can see the effect of globalization. It turns everywhere in the world into looking the same...


But then I can see that the street in Kunming where the "Gangnam" dance was performed  is actually nicer looking than some of the older streets in Hong Kong where there wasn't much coordinated urban planning, but are jam packed with free wheeling tiny little diners, restaurants, street vendors and shops selling all kinds of cheap consumer goods.  

6 comments:

  1. The girl in the first one had nice shoes and overall the performance looked like it was well planned.

    The Hong Kong one, however, looked like they had more fun. I liked that one better!

    Gangnam Style was everywhere around here for a while. It was very catchy, then later very played out. Last time I heard it, Psy was on the Today show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband's nieces know how to dance like that and it is a very happy and cheerful dance even though I have no idea what the song is talking about:)

      Delete
  2. It's a catchy little dance routine and I enjoyed seeing it when the guy who made up the dance came to America. It looks like one could keep in great shape dancing it often but at my age, I will garden instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my cousins in Hong Kong are telling me they have this kind of dance classes for weight loss:)

      Delete
  3. Very cool... I enjoyed both dances. I love that song, too. My daughters introduced me to Gangnam style a couple of years ago when it first came out.

    You know, I would love to witness a flash mob in person. I would probably want to join in, even though I have two left feet. Why don't cool things like that happen in my neighborhood...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all my young cousins and tween nieces know how to do this dance and they always join in when a flash mob starts in the middle of the street. For me, I'll be too shy to join in:)

      Delete